Friday, August 22, 2014

Free Motion Friday: Pink Paper


Last year we had a guild challenge for a quilt show that I was pretty excited about. We were to make a binary (two-color) quilt for a show at Island Quilter. I had been playing around a bit with paper piecing and really liked Julie Hirt's Block Rock'n series. So I decided it would be a good idea to make a whole quilt of the Icky Thump block. What was I thinking?!



I picked out my colors - pink and grey - and went to town. It actually wasn't so bad. I even made a giant block for the back of the quilt.



And then it was time for the fun stuff. Quilting!


This was only the second whole quilt I had free motion quilted so I was a little nervous. I played around with a few ideas and settled on some orange peel shapes in the light grey circular parts and some long skinny figure eights in the pink and dark grey parts. Those sections went up to 13" wide (I had enlarged the pattern a tiny bit) so it was a little tricky going back and forth but overall I think it turned out pretty well.


I was delighted to see my quilt hanging in the front window when we went to the show opening. So cool! Now, I sleep with this one every night and I'll be taking it down to the NW Quilting Expo in Portland this fall.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...