Friday, January 22, 2016

Free Motion Friday: Compass



This one was made to display at Quilt Market in October, with Sunprint 2015 fabrics by Alison Glass. I really love her fabrics. I was hoping to work with her newest line, Sunprint 2016, but Andover wanted something with this line so I changed my plan a little.

I went with a pretty traditional design but played with the colors to modernize it a bit. I used a new (to me) ruler for making Kaleidoscope blocks - it was a big help! The color gradient turned out just how I wanted and the pop of yellow is great.



This is the biggest quilt I've made yet - 75 x 90" - and I wanted it to be super cozy to bundle up in or put on a bed so I used wool batting for the first time. It's so thick and plush! I made sure to get one that can be washed too because a quilt that cannot be washed is not super useful.

I had a tough time figuring out how to quilt this one. I knew I wanted to do something a little more dense in the circle/outline sections so I free motion quilted figure eights there. In the remainder, I ended up doing some fairly light quilting so the batting really puffs up and stands out. I may go back and do a little more but it's good for now.

I'm happy to have this one home from Market. Time to wash and crinkle it so I can start cuddling!



1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! I love the color variation across the front.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...