Sunday, July 27, 2014


I've wanted to make myself a Washi tunic for quite some time now but haven't yet for no particular reason. I knew I was going to have to make some pattern alterations so maybe that's why I put it off. I finally made myself just do it and now I wonder what took me so long.

Once the alterations were done, it was fairly easy to make the top. I used an older Art Gallery Fabrics print that I got for a great deal awhile back on Instagram.


Sorry about the hanger pics, but I'm not quite so happy with it that I want to post pictures of myself wearing it online. I need to make some adjustments to the shirring on the next one - I either need to lower the whole set or maybe add a few more rows to the bottom of it. I also want to play around with some different sleeve options that might be more flattering on me. I have lots more fabric ready to go, here's hoping I don't take quite so long to make the next one!

Linking up to A Lovely Year of Finishes July goal 

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Super Tote

I bought Noodlehead's Super Tote pattern back in November when it was on sale for the holidays and I've been meaning to make it ever since. So naturally when it finally came time to make it, I made two! The first was for a swap that I'm still finishing up so more on that later. The second was for me after I scored some gorgeous Jungle Ave fabric before it was released to the public. Thanks to Stash Fabrics for selling some of your sample spree goodies a little early!!

I was SO excited to get this fabric. It's Sara Lawson's first line and part of the Art Gallery Fabrics Limited Edition brand. It was hard to narrow down just a few favorite prints to use in my bag - I didn't want it to be too overwhelming - but I got it down to the funky pink text print (Word on the Street) and the black and white polka dots (Dotted Boulevard) for my main prints. I used another AGF print for the lining and two more Jungle Ave prints (Floral Asphalt and Electreecity) for bag accents.

I had some sweet metal zippers in my stash that worked perfectly for the bag opening. I made a few changes to the lining pattern and left out the elastic pockets on this one. I did a smaller zip pocket on one side and tried to do a pocket similar to the outside one for the other side of the lining but I don't like it. It's really floppy. I need to figure out a way to fix it so maybe there will end up being some elastic in this bag as well. Any ideas?

I've been using this bag a bit already and I love it. My whole purse fits inside along with tons of other stuff that I obviously need to be hauling around (yeah right) so I think it will become my new "small personal item" on flights. Hah!


Monday, July 14, 2014

3rd quarter Finish Along

I guess one of the more convenient things about having a blog is that I can now easily link up to lists like these. I've been playing along for awhile now via Flickr.

I of course have dozens of projects that I'd like to finish over the next 3 months but only a few I can call out right now.

Washi tunic: I'd like to finally finish a Washi top for myself. I made a muslin months ago, adjusted the pattern, and then stopped. I even have the fabric prewashed and ready to go. Time to get this baby finished!

Mermaid Mini: I paper pieced this little lady at my very first quilting retreat back in February. I was thinking of making her into a Super Tote but I think I'll make her a mini quilt instead. The free pattern was designed by Sewing Under the Rainbow and I absolutely love it!

Forest Abstractions coyote: I was a pattern tester for Violet Craft for this awesome pattern she is now shipping and starting a QAL for. I'm going to finish up this big guy into a baby quilt.

MQG Michael Miller Challenge: I don't know if I'll finish up in time but I finally have a plan for this little stack of pretty. Petal Pinwheels are about to meet the Celestial Star Quilt Along.

Resonance: Finally, I'd really like to finish up this twin sized quilt that I started as a pattern test for Alyssa at Aria Lane. It's an awesome pattern, I'm just still scared of the circles. I think it's time to get the glue-basting tip ready!

I see many WIP Wednesdays in my future...


Monday, July 7, 2014

And then she started a blog

I've always said I would never have a blog because I just don't really enjoy writing. I'd rather spend my time doing just about anything else. But as I've spent the last year doing more and more quilting, I've realized that sometimes I do have a little more to say about a project than I'd like to post on Flick'r or Instagram. So here we are. Welcome to my new blog, Allison Sews.

Bear with me as I learn to navigate this new (to me, obviously this isn't 1998 or anything) world. I'll be sharing all the fun stuff I'm sewing and maybe a few other fun things along the way. Today I'll leave you with a few of the quilts I've finished recently. I'll share lots more of my past finishes in another post.

Thanks for joining me!

Metallion, May 2014

Love My Life, a Quilt with Heart, April 2014

Ocean Current, April 2014

Iridescence, May 2014