Friday, October 3, 2014

Free Motion Friday: the NW Quilting Expo edition

There were so many great quilts at the expo in Portland last weekend but I think my favorite ones included some free motion quilting. My absolute favorite was Come Sail Away by Emily Graham Blackmer (swiftninjachick on instagram). Holy cow, talk about going for it! She was inspired by some of Tula Pink's prints.

Come Sail Away by Emily Graham Blackmer

Emily had another gorgeous quilt that was 100% FMQ - Chaos of the Mind. Amazing! I'm definitely inspired to try some whole cloth FMQ after seeing these.

Chaos of the Mind by Emily Graham Blackmer

FMQ close-up of Chaos of the Mind by Emily Graham Blackmer

Another cool one was Maritime by Mary C. Schroeder. She FMQ'd the whole thing and then shaded it with colored pencils. It has a really cool effect but I don't know if it's permanent so maybe not so realistic for quilts that will be used.

Maritime by Mary C. Schroeder

FMQ Maritime by Mary C. Schroeder

Elisa Corcoran's Fractured Steel Bridge had some great quilting in the sky and I loved the swirls in AnnMarie Cowley's Cathedral Park.

Fractured Steel Bridge by Elisa Corcoran

FMQ Fractured Steel Bridge by Elisa Corcoran

Cathedral Park by AnnMarie Cowley

FMQ Cathedral Park by AnnMarie Cowley

The gentle waves and pebbles in Fremont Modern by Sally Mayer were great. It definitely gave me some ideas for a quilt I'm working on this weekend.


Fremont Modern by Sally Mayer

FMQ Fremont Modern by Sally Mayer

I had a lot of fun at the show and came away with several different ideas I hope to put into practice soon. Until then, have a great weekend!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...